Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mother's Day


I've sat down at my computer several times since Mother's Day, but not long enough to finish this post.  I think that's because my idea for it wasn't finished until today.  Funny how a thought can take a while to develop when other times it's completed right away.  I blame the delayed thought process on parenthood... there are just so many interruptions :-)  Anyway, Mother's Day seems like a long time ago, but here's what I've been thinking about since then...

I love being a mom, but Mother's Day hasn't always been my favorite day.  This is probably because I expect everything and everyone, including myself, to be perfect on this one day.  That's not realistic, or fair because most of my days as a mom involve someone crying, someone getting in trouble, kids fighting, whining, complaining and other messy things.  Well, kids will be kids, no matter what day it is.  The thing is, when you have young children they are not always going to notice and appreciate all the things you do for them, let alone thank you for your sacrifice and service.  Mother's Day might be an opportunity for them to practice some hospitality on mom, but when they are little it's usually Dad doing all the work.  Scott does a great job involving the kids and my Mother's Days are getting better every year.  This is probably due to the fact that my kids are maturing and so am I!  I've learned to express my wishes for the day and I'm learning to not expect perfection, but to appreciate progress.



This Mother's Day was great.  After church we met my Mom and Dad outside the Chelsea Market in NYC.  The pictures are of a beautiful day in and around Highline Park.  After their stay in NYC, my parents spent 4 days at our house.  It was with great joy that I practiced hospitality on them.  I love hosting them and we had a wonderful time together.  I am blessed to have a mother who loves and gives so much of herself to me and my family and who has dedicated her life to being my mom.  When I spoke with my mom this morning she thanked me for a lovely visit.  She said how proud she was of me as a mom and daughter.  She confirmed what I have been processing since Mother's Day...  (I'm slow, I know)  It is a privilege to be a mother, but sometimes it's a thankless job.  I am trying to raise thankful children who consider serving others to be an honor and a blessing.  I hope they know that being their mom, although not always easy, is my greatest blessing.  I catch glimpses of them maturing, but may not see the fruit of my labor until they are grown and raising a family of their own.  Until then, I will continue to do what I do best, be their mom.




"Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."
(Proverbs 22:6)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on being a mom with us! You are an amazing mom to 4 wonderful kids!