Wednesday, May 2, 2012

15 years


Scott and I celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary tomorrow.  Over the weekend we had fun trying to remember all the ways we've celebrated... What restaurant did we go to?; Which baby was I pregnant with?; Which newborn came with us?; Where were we living?; What gifts did we give each other?... Wow!  15 years is a long time and we enjoyed all the memories.

I love being married to Scott.  Because I love him I enjoy making him happy (meaning: I enjoy being hospitable towards him).  For example, I am very intentional about the way I welcome Scott home from work.  I've learned to greet him with a smile, hug and/or a kiss before I start in about the stresses of my day with the kids etc.  Tonight I was outside when he pulled in the driveway and I did a goofy jog to his car and stuck my smiling face through his opened window.  He shook his head and said, "I never know what to expect."  Women have that power over men.  We sure can keep it interesting...  On one particularly bad day I left a note on the door warning him of my mood.  He appreciated the heads-up.  If I'm in another room I do my best to get up and greet him.  I try not to be on the phone or distracted when he walks in.  I really am excited to see him and I do my best to let him know this.  Plus, I know he likes the attention so I'm gonna keep doing it ;-)

Also, I try to have the house picked up a bit (meaning: shoes out of the way so he doesn't trip when he walks through the door), music playing (meaning: some Nora Jones Radio to calm me), sometimes a candle burning (meaning: get rid of that broccoli smell) and dinner almost ready (meaning: we'll eat something, soon...).   Really, I think it's important to have a meal ready so that we can sit down together as a family and talk about our days.   Some dinners are better than others (ask my kids), but it's not just about the food, but about bringing the family together.  I try to serve Scott and make him feel honored.  He totally helps too!   It makes me feel good when I am hospitable towards him.  I want Scott to feel honored, important and welcome in his home, just like I would a guest. 

I do these things because I love Scott and because I can see how being hospitable towards him helps our marriage.  If you think hospitality isn't your thing, try practicing it on the ones you love, starting with your spouse.  Be intentional with your greeting and make sure your husband feels welcome in his own home!  Make having dinner together a priority, even if it's only a few times a week.  Imagine that your husband is a very important guest.  Practice hospitality on your hubby.


3 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy Anniversary Mary! You and Scott are such an inspiration! We love your family! And how blessed are your children to have you and Scott as their parents. In terms of the importance of having dinner together, I recently read how "family dinners" are correlated to future academic success.

Nicole

P.S.

Patty Davidson said...

A very special post. Thanks for sharing and Happy Anniversary! Love, Patty

salli said...

Love this, Mary. And happy anniversary!!!