Monday, March 12, 2012

Quick weekend review

It was a busy weekend and I've got lots of things to share with you, I almost don't know where to begin...  A highlight was attending a leadership training day with the leadership team from The Plant and the team from a church plant coming out of Long Hill Chapel.  Our coach and teacher was Hugh Halter, pastor, evangelist, and author of The Tangible Kingdom and Sacrilege.  He was impressive, but not because he has written some solid books, pastors a cool church, lives on mission, AND is BFF's with Jen Hatmaker!  But, because he cares about people and his love for them is mature and not self-serving.  He is a 'giver' and not a 'taker,' a 'listener' and not just a 'talker.' Plus, what I appreciated is that he is a real advocate for practicing hospitality.  I told him how his book (The TK) inspired me to start this blog.  (Then he graciously wrote down my blog name in his planner.)  He mentioned how he's going to have a friend video tape him getting ready for a party.  Some of us could use some help with 'party planning.'  I just might have to steal his idea and make my own video ;-)  I'm sure you'd love to watch  me vacuum, light candles, set the table... but first I have to design my own aprons because I do want to bring the apron back in vogue!  (Kidding, but serious.) 

Speaking of aprons, please enjoy the picture of Rich.  We made our Community Group Soup last night and he was willing to provide some comic relief.  We made Italian Wedding Soup and had a great time hanging out in the kitchen, working together...

what can I say? Nice legs?!?

So, there are real benefits to practicing hospitality.  For example, you really get to know people, you get to let go of your stuff and get to experience an other's joys and heartaches, you laugh and of course, you eatNow, doesn't that sound wonderful?  "Practicing hospitality is a crucial part of building authentic community." (TK Primer)  Thanks again to Hugh for this encouragement and for his example and thanks to our community group for a yummy, fun night :-)

super cooks!

guy in the apron giving advice to Captain America? Yikes!

community group soup for the kids too!

1 comment:

aura said...

I want to be the first to order your new aprons!!! I would also like the recipe to your Italian meatball soup!! And lastly let you know you are the Hostess with the Mostess!!!