Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Do what it says...

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says." (James 1: 22) 

This is the verse that keeps running through my head.  Even though  I was a total 'Martha' this Easter, busy doing many things, I learned that good does come from actually doing things.  For example, when the kids and I made unleavened bread I noticed the smell that filled the kitchen.  It was a sweet aroma.  As we broke the bread and drank the juice we remembered Jesus' words and they become more meaningful.  And when I washed the kids feet after reading from John 13, I saw how they reacted and we were able to picture the scene from the Bible better.  When you 'do' something your senses and emotions get involved.  It's a richer experience than just reading something or being told about something.  Experience is valuable.  When you actually 'do' something, you remember it better because it leaves an impression on you.  Another example of this is hammering nails into a wooden cross at our Good Friday service at The Plant.  My girls said they almost cried when they did this.  It was meaningful and memorable. 

our first foot washing



So, Easter ended well with practicing hospitality.  We had a nice meal with family and Judd (our neighbor friend who was without his lovely wife and kids).  I was able to sit and enjoy the company of great people and we laughed a little bit at my 'busyness.'

The Hosiers and Judd :-)


Happy Easter

"But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it -- he will be blessed in what he does." (Js 1:25)

Practice Hospitality.... and be blessed :-)

2 comments:

Judd said...

I enjoyed spending the day with your family. Thanks for having me.

Mary said...

Judd, we were blessed having you!! Consider yourself a Hosier when your family is not around :)