Monday, December 26, 2011

Be Ready


It's the night after Christmas, and all through my house, not a creature is stirring, except me, of course... There is food to put away and dirty dishes on the counter.  In the family room there is more evidence of days well spent... more dishes, toys and games on the floor, pillows and blankets that need straightening, lots of tidying up to be done.  Let's face it, practicing hospitality has consequences.  Clean-up! 

Tonight, it is quiet.  I feel no pressure.  I will take my time and do my best to be ready for tomorrow.  And there it is: 'be ready'.  Isn't that what practicing hospitality is all about... being ready?!  It's learning to anticipate guests.  It's praying for them to come!  It's offering 'room' in your inn to someone who needs refreshment or a place to stay.  It's preparing your heart to receive someone elses'; it's being ready to listen to someone, discern his/her needs, to offer encouragement and love.

So, let's not stop being hospitable just because Christmas is over.  Even if our holiday guests have all gone home, let's be ready for whomever else God may have in mind for us to practice hospitality on.  If the thought of it makes you tired, I get it, but pray about it.  Ask God to help you to be ready.  I believe!  He will!!

No comments: