Monday, December 12, 2011

Love your neighbors

We hosted our annual Orchard Street Open House on Sunday. Welcoming friends and neighbors into our home is a privilege and we are honored when they come.  We had almost 60 people here (including kids) and most of the adults huddled in our cozy kitchen.  We spent hours together; talking, laughing, eating and drinking.  It was great fun!

We have lived in our house for 7 years.  We learned that the previous owners would invited the neighbors in at Christmas-time for cookies and chili.  We felt it was important to continue this tradition of getting together.  I don't bake cookies (Caleb and I placed them on a baking sheet!) or make chili, but everyone brings something.  There's always a ton of food and it's all so good!  We love it!


Well, here's my hospitality challenge... if you do not know your neighbors, please make an effort to get to know them.  Consider crossing your street this week to introduce yourself.  If you do not know the names of your neighbors, I hope you will be intentional about getting to know them.  You may not be ready to have all of them huddled in your cozy kitchen, but I pray that time will come.  When it does, I want to hear about it :-)

4 comments:

Meg said...

You know my family LOVES our neighbors! :) Heard you threw a great party, Mary! Merry Christmas!

Mary said...

I LOVE your neighbors too, Meg and I think you guys are pretty great... wish you all lived on Orchard Street:-)

Sara said...

Wish I lived on Orchard too! That said, I'm going to take you up on that challenge...I've been living in this house for over 5 years and I've never met one set of neighbors...I can see their house through the woods, past my garden (and I'm sure Biscuit has "visited" them before, but never made it over there!

St Pete Cindy said...

Hi Mary, We've been in our Home in St Pete Florida now for 9 1/2 years! Our first few years we did have our neighbors over for dinner around Thanksgiving/Christmas and the kids would always bring them treats/cards/etc...but now with 3 kids, full time Real Estate Career and lots of activities-we have not had them over in years. (that's embarrassing!)

So I will commit to stop the excuses...and start the Hospitality again!

Thanks for the reminder!