Monday, February 6, 2012

half-time devo


Congratulations Giant's fans.  It was a good game.  I'm not a big sports fan, meaning I don't have favorite teams.  I think that's because I often feel sorry for the loosing teams.  For this reason, I've never been very competitive.  I  like when every one wins.  I know some of you won't agree with that.  It's kinda wimpy!  I'm gonna give it more thought...

Anyway,  I am passionate about some things and one of those things is practicing hospitality :-)  I had the privilege of giving the half-time devotional for the 3:00 and 4:00 o'clock Upward Basketball games yesterday!  I must have said "Practice Hospitality" almost as much as the singers chanted "Madonna" during the Super Bowl half-time show!  I'm proud to encourage people to open up their hearts and homes to those around them.  We need to be 'others' focused not self-focused.  Let's cheer each other on to welcome people in!  I'll get out my pom-poms for that!!


While I spoke, my lovely Jillian passed out M&M's.  "M&M's make friends."  Remember that jingle?  (I might be dating myself!)  I used the candies as a visual reminder for people to reach out to their neighbors and friends by practicing hospitality.  I then talked about Martha and Mary from Luke chapter 10.  Although Martha practiced hospitality by welcoming Jesus into her home (how cool!) she became distracted by all the preparations while her sister Mary sat at Jesus' feet.  Martha went to Jesus and complained.  Here's a thought... We will always be jealous of those who spend time with Jesus while we've busied ourselves with stuff!!  How do I know this?  Because Jesus tells Martha that Mary has chosen what is better and that it will never be taken from her.  Mary chose a relationship while Martha was worried and upset about 'many things'.  Mary practiced hospitality by spending time with Jesus... listening, learning, talking, laughing?!  

Hospitality comes from the heart.  It has to or else we'll be too stressed out and then feel jealous when everyone else is connecting and having fun.  We all have a lot more to give than fancy food and drink... we have encouraging words, a sense of humor, compassion, wisdom, a good story...   Martha wasn't wrong in wanting to prepare stuff for her guest she just needed to be reminded that when you are in the presence of someone special, don't miss out.  Let us not miss out either.  Grab a pack of M&M's today and practice some hospitality.  Everyone wins!!!

No comments: