Thursday, February 9, 2012

The heart

Thanks to my friend Aura, I finally got my hands on the book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess.  So far so good.  Even though I'm no Jen Hatmaker, I'm Mary Hosier, I appreciate her words and am gearing up for another challenge... I know God is doing a work in my heart and mind and it's time for my 'flesh' (the me, me, me part of me!) to get with the program.  I'm asking myself some tough questions like; Do I really need this _________? Is this what Jesus would say or do?  What am I teaching my children about God by the way I live?  How can I help those around me?

The title for my blog comes from Romans 12:13.  Paul writes, "Share with God's people who are in need.  Practice Hospitality."  In the book of Acts we learn about the early church.  I think the following verses add more meat to Paul's command in Romans.  "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.  Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles.  All the believers were together and had everything in common.  Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.  Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.  They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.  And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." 

Wow!  Now that's practicing hospitality!!  I like how is says, "they ate together with glad and sincere hearts."  Sincere means genuine.  Being without hypocrisy or pretense.  True.  Maybe their hearts were true and without hypocrisy because they sold all their stuff and were free?!  Can you imagine selling all your things?  More importantly, let's not miss the word 'hearts."  It's a heart issue friends.  Remember, practicing hospitality comes from the heart first, then the kitchen.  God cares about our hearts more than He cares about what's for dinner.  What motivates us?  How do we treat others?  Do we love some and judge others? ... More tough questions?

With Valentine's Day approaching... let's ask God to search our hearts.  I know I would like to eat with my family (and others) with a glad and sincere heart.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Love it! You are a girl who "Wears her heart on her sleeve," and I love that about you!