Friday, January 20, 2012

Fasting

We've been encouraged, as a church, to fast for 21 days.  Fasting is a discipline that can be practiced in many different ways.  The purpose of a fast is to eliminate things in order to make room for God.  I think we'd all agree, no matter what our religious position, that our lives are filled with excess.  Too much food, TV, coffee, Facebook... you name it, we've got it or have access to it and chances are it's keeping us from other things?!  Some enter a fast with serious requests, others wanting to experience more of God and less of the other 'stuff.'

I learned about a book called 7 : An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, from my friend Aura.  The author is Jen Hatmaker.  The book hasn't even hit the bookstores yet, but Scott and I have viewed enough of the sample pages from chapter 1 on Amazon to know we wanted in!  We decided to accept her challenge to eliminate excess in 7 areas of our lives.  The first area is food!  I hesitate saying too much because, like I said, I haven't even held the book, let alone read it, but I know in my heart I'm ready to do something different.  You can google Jen Hatmaker and find her blog online.  She has a great post about what drove her to write the book.

Fasting and practicing hospitality can be a little tricky, but during these weeks I've enjoyed fellowship more than food and that's an important part of hospitality.  Sometimes we just can't hide behind the Cassoulet, but have to let people in.. to our hearts and minds.  There's nothing wrong with welcoming people in and serving veggies and water, unless they're expecting more.  If they are, I hope you've got your party hat on :-)  Make your friends aware of your situation and go from there. 

My sense is that people are ready to make some changes and the ancient practice of fasting is a great start.  Personally, I have felt stronger and better about myself in denying myself something unhealthy than I would if I just ate it.  I've been tricked into thinking all the excess will make me feel full (physically, emotionally, even spiritually), but really it makes me feel powerless and out of control.

So, don't think this hospitality gal is done serving up cheesy lasagna and cupcakes.  I will eat these things again, but I will always remember this time of 'fasting' and eliminating excess and be glad.  In the remaining weeks, I'll be praying for peace (of pizza! JK!!) in my home and for more vision for this blog.  Thanks for reading... comments are always welcomed.

No comments: