Monday, January 30, 2012

7 foods

Tomorrow Scott and I end our 1 month of eating 7 foods!*  We enjoyed chicken, eggs, sweet potatoes, apples, spinach, avocados and whole wheat bread for the month of January!  With the exception of dinner on January 28th we did not deviate from the 7 foods.  (I turned 42 on the 28th so we celebrated over brick-oven pizza and Ben and Jerry's ice cream!) 

There are so many reasons why I am thankful we did this 'experiment'/fast.  I don't think I could have done it without my husband.  Together we realized how much excessive eating we were doing.  We also realized how much power we were giving to food and learned that the power was ours when we denied ourselves and said "no" to certain foods.  Also, when we were tempted to eat a non-7 item, we prayed.  We turned to God and not to pretzels, cheese, cookies... and were more than satisfied.  Maybe not the first week, but we grew more disciplined as time went on.  Today we feel healthier, happier and more clear-headed. 

Our church fast ends this weekend (Super Bowl Sunday!).  We may continue the 7 foods until then or may eliminate coffee which wasn't part of the 7 foods, but Scott and I allowed ourselves the comfort of a cup (or 2) of Joe.  Still praying about that ;-)  

Anyway,  I have to admit that blogging about practicing hospitality has been effected.  (I haven't posted in a week!!)  Even though I try to make the point that practicing hospitality doesn't have to revolve around food, food is a part of it!  I served eggs, veggies, nuts, sweet potato fries and avocado to friends this month.  You know what?  I like the idea of keeping it simple.  I would spend a lot of time looking up recipes or reading cookbooks in order to get ideas and inspiration.  I will still create in the kitchen, but I want to emphasize again that practicing hospitality is welcoming people into your home, not showing off your 'skills'. 

Practicing hospitality comes from the heart first and then the kitchen ;-) 

*7 foods are from 7, an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker.

No comments: