Thursday, January 5, 2012

smell

I don't think I have a great sense of smell, but I can definitely smell something I don't like coming from our downstairs bathroom!  Before you think I'm gonna get gross, I'll tell you it's a mildew smell, not your typical bathroom smell!  I narrowed the location down to the bathroom this evening as I sniffed around while Caleb was taking a tub.  Someone had to do it!!  I concluded that the smell was coming from the molding near the tub that has gotten wet through the years and has pulled away from the walls.  Maybe that's why it's called molding?!  Yuck!  It really stinks!  Our kitchen pantry shares a wall with this bathroom and I think it's borrowing the smell.  As I sit in the kitchen, I smell it.  I've sprayed Lysol, lit candles and am waiting for Scott to come home so I can tell him about it and make him sniff the floor molding too.  Lucky him. 

So what does this have to do with practicing hospitality?  Please don't think your house has to be perfectly clean when you practice hospitality, but you probably shouldn't have a really stinky bathroom.  If you are welcoming people in, it's always nice to straighten up first and have your house smelling pretty.  I love to vacuum so this is something I do, as well as dust, wipe down kitchen counters, hide all the papers on my desk, wipe down the sink and toilet, clean any mirrors and light some candles.  I also like to have fresh flowers on the kitchen table and nice music playing softly. 

People are coming to see you, but it will make your guests feel special if you've tidied up a bit for them.  It will help them feel more comfortable and relaxed.  And if your event is scheduled and your bathroom is still stinky, you'll at least have something to talk about... who knows, maybe you've invited Mr. or Mrs. Fix-it...if so, send 'em over.  Quickly! ;-)

No comments: