Monday, November 14, 2011

Spills happen


After the girls final soccer games on Saturday we headed to The Fireplace for lunch.  Taking our kids out to eat isn't always pleasant.   For example, it takes time to figure out what each one wants to order, where everyone is going to sit and what to do when Karalyn's lemonade spills all over the table, floor and Jillian's legs!  I was frustrated because things weren't going smoothly, but I have to ask myself, "What did you expect?"  So often my expectations are too high... for myself and my family.  As a result, I end up feeling disappointed.  What's sad about this is that I end up missing the moment.  Spills happen and they can be cleaned up a lot easier than wounded hearts.

As we practice hospitality together, let's try to stay cool.  The Holiday's are coming! and now is the time to set some realistic expectations on ourselves, our kids and others.  I don't want to miss any more moments because of some silly spills, how about you?

2 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

Good words today Mary. I too struggle with my expectations being too high at times too. (Felt like I put Brendan through college our first year of homeschooling..lol!) I have often had to regroup and get on the floor and remember I'm a Mommy...not just a Mother...it is those moments when I was caught playing the damsel in distress or a wounded army "guy" on the floor with my boys that they will always remember and hopefully will make me more accessible to them in their teen years. Anyway, good advice Mary. Love you!

mary said...

thanks Lisa:-) Setting high expectations and then being hard on myself makes for a bad day! I'm learning!! Kids will be kids and I love them, spills and all. May God bless you with a nice, neat day and if gets messy may you laugh and enjoy it. xo