Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving service


We had our Thanksgiving service at church yesterday.  Before going in Jacob told me that if I cried while sharing something, he would walk out.  (Typical 12 1/2 year old!)  He remembers last year.  I couldn't hold back the tears then.  We were still kinda new to The Plant and I was just sooooo thankful for Rob and Sue and their vision for church.  I said I was particularly thankful that Jacob was hearing solid teachings from the Bible from a very authentic guy.    

Well, it's a good thing Jacob didn't say he would walk out if I cried while listening to other people talk.  I'm glad I had a tissue in my purse!  I love services like this... when you get to hear from other people and see just how much God cares about all of us; business men and women, teachers, mommies, college kids!  He loves us all!! 

When I shared yesterday, I did not cry.  I said that I was so thankful to not just be a part of a church, but to be a part of a community of believers who share a common mission; to know God and make Him known by loving and serving those around us.  Rob summed  it up by talking about how belonging gives us purpose.  That made sense to me because I've been feeling like my life has new purpose lately.  This blog is a result of that new found purpose.  I've concluded that practicing hospitality is the key.  Hospitality creates the opportunity for people to participate in community.  When you invite someone in and they feel your authentic love, you give them the gift of belonging.  Maybe they will find new purpose too. 

community of geese

No comments: